Station Wagons & SUVs



1969 Country Squire. Photo by the internet


My Mom drove a Country Squire Station Wagon. It was massive and weighed more than 2 tons. Ford equipped the car with a 302HP V8 capable of 0 to 60 mph in 11.6 seconds. On the highway, the car achieved a 13.4 mpg fuel economy. The car also had eight seats with seatbelts. My sister and I were always relegated to the two jump seats in the trunk.

I can't say I ever saw myself driving a station wagon. In fact, never, in my wildest dreams, did I ever plan to drive a station wagon.

Fast forward just a few years to 1995. I traded in my 1988 Acura Integra two-door coupe for a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 wheel drive SUV, also known as a sports utility vehicle. I was proud of my SUV and drove to my parents' house to show them our new car. My Mom enthusiastically met me in the driveway and asked: "why did you buy a station wagon?" I had no words.

We drove our Jeep for seven years and then traded it in for our second SUV, an all-wheel-drive Toyota Highlander. The Highlander met all my driving needs. In fact, my kids learned to drive in the Highlander. My youngest daughter named the car Mavis.

Recently, we had to let Mavis go. It was time. She served us well for sixteen years and 178,000 miles. We interviewed many families and ultimately decided to sell her to a family who lives on the coast. We know she's going to be well cared for and will enjoy many beautiful sunsets over the Pacific until her headlights go out for the last time.

Mavis, we'll miss you!

Mavis in her full glory 2018



Comments

Popular Posts