Donut Report

Temptations abound @ Bob's Donut & Pastry Shop on Polk Street

It's been 20 days since my last donut. 

While I successfully avoided the many donuts and treats at Beer Friday, without much prior consideration I parked my car facing uphill on Polk Street. For those who may not recall, Bob's Donut sits on Polk. 

I didn't anticipate another test of willpower until I put on my seat belt and was about to select the destination on the nav/traffic system. Bob's was first on the list. I held strong and chose my home address instead. 

 I put the car in gear and headed up the hill, fully intending to turn right on what's almost always a red light at the North Point/Polk intersection. I thought this would be a clever blocking strategy and get me off high-risk Polk Street. In a rare show of traffic light synchronization, the light turned green no longer requiring me to take the easy way out with a forced stop and right on red. Sweat beads formed on my upper lip and forehead. I couldn't tell if I had set the heated battery-operated vest on high, or if I would lack the conviction to stick with my plan and head home. The fight or flight adrenaline rush had taken over. A split-second decision turned into an ultra-slow motion step by step drawn-out pros & cons evaluation - kind of like the scene in Animal House with the Devil and the Angel (yes, I know, highly inappropriate analogy) battling to win over my uncontrollable donut desires vs. keeping true with my gastronomic conscience. 

Had Elon released automated driving on the city streets as promised in 2020, this would have been a non-issue. However, he hasn't so the devil/angel battle raged on. Sweat beads turned into hot flashes.  Ultimately, the car told me to turn right and get off Polk Street, so I did as instructed. 

Donut Crises Averted.


Donut Report, TL;DR - abridged version: Drove straight home without stopping.


Happy Donut on Van Ness Avenue. Also known as Plan B


Comments

Popular Posts